Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dear Friend

Right now I thank God, for he is good. I am sitting in this coffee house (another favorite of mine) with her. With this girl, this friend who means more to me than life itself. And as I look up to see what she is doing, I cannot help but smile. Because this girl, this girl sitting right across the table for me, is a gift from God. She doesn't always get it when I tell her that. But it's the truth. If only she could get inside my mind and heart for the moment and feel what it is I feel with her. Feel what it is when I think of her. When I look up and see her writing away, reading away, doing whatever it is she may be doing. Then, well maybe then, she would understand what I mean when I say she is a blessing from God. He really must have known what he was doing when He gave me such a friend. He really must have known just how much in need of her I was. If ever I am asked a time and a place where I experience the love of Christ the most-I would say whenever and wherever I am with this friend of mine. Time of day is irrelevant. Location is irrelevant. Form of communication is irrelevant. The Lord loves me through her more than she will ever know. He radiates his love onto me through this friend. He uses her in my life more than anyone could be used I think. I am constantly amazed by how much I see God loving me through her. And to think-it's only the beginning of a very long and endless friendship.

But right now, we're sitting together at this coffee house. Which is normal for us. Because, well, that's something we do. And I'm diving into scripture, theology and being challenged by her wisdom and faith, though she doesn't even know she's challenging me. She tells me she is constantly learning from me, but hardly stops to realize how much the wisdom that the Lord has blessed her with is impacting my every day. And its at this very moment that I realize I am so lucky because I am constantly surrounded by this sort of an environment. Or at least I have the utter and complete fredom to be in this sort of an environment. One where Jesus is the center of the conversation. Where I am constantly being pushed deeper in my faith, challenged by others wisdom and surrounded by those who love Christ and know the heart of God. Those who wish to love him beside me, walk beside me to draw nearer to the heart of who he really is. Who desire to know him more, love him deeper. Who want to find joy in the pain, who turn to him with anxieties and burdens of this world. And who remind me to do the same. An environment where I am reminded to trust God completely, find my peace and joy in him. I am encouraged to seek him, draw near to him, for he will draw near to you. (James 4). I am pushed to let myself find him in the quiet of a busy day. To look for him in everyone. To be constantly living a lifestyle of prayer and purpose-that I may grow his kingdom with those who share my passion-or the passions of my heart. I am constantly being poured into; so that I may then pour out onto others. Whether its at bible study or small group, a car ride and late night coffee or sonic run, a shared mix cd with powerful lyrics, or anything else...I find authentic conversation, a real community. Washed over by his love, accountability without having to ask twice, truth and grace int he same place.

Yes, I am blessed by this. By this community. By this environment. The countless experiences on a day to day basis, no matter how simple-they are never insignificant. I find real love in friendship. I find a hand to hold me firm in the ground when my faith is shaken. I am reminded of the cross when darkness falls upon me. I am reminded to not fear when all seems lost, but to rest in the power of the cross. Simple words of his truth spoken to me through others and through experiences-always creatively, always unexpectedly. All I have to do is slow down long enough to hear them. To hear his voice amidst a lifestyle that can sometimes be so full of clutter, pointless noise, to do lists, schedules full of things we aren't called to do, stress and 100 mph speed of living...amidst all of this he has called me to get lost in his love. Lost in the heart of Christ. Lost in his grace and peace. Lost in his touch. Lost in my Savior. Washed over by a heart that loves me more then I can understand. Feels like water cleansing my dirty skin.




No comments:

Post a Comment